CRI Pumps honors the Best Farmers with ‘Velanmai Chemmal Awards 2015’
India is a land of farmers. This is the community that has given so much to our society and in turn any amount of giving back can never make up for their sacrifices. Today it is a must that we contribute something that we become a part to conserve our nation’s greatest asset – Food through Agriculture.
C.R.I as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility has instituted an endowment at TNAU and from the interest accrued from the endowment every year C.R.I in association with TNAU gives away the Velanmai Chemmal Award to 5 best Farmers in Tamilnadu. Velanmai Chemmal Award carries a cash prize of Rs.10,000, a Memento and a certificate of appreciation.
C.R.I in association with Tamilnadu Agricultural University is proud to honor 5 Farmers who go above and beyond in their commitment with innovative and best practices in agriculture and have shown resilience against all odds with the "Velanmai Chemmal Award".
This year “Velanmai Chemmal Award” were bestowed to the winning farmers by Mr.Agri S.S.Krishnamoorthy, Minister of Agriculture, Govt. of Tamilnadu, Dr.K.Ramasamy, Vice Chancellor, Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Ms.Archana Patnaik,I.A.S District Collector, Coimbatore, Mr.F.L.Suresh, C.H.R.O, C.R.I Pumps and Mr.M.Rajendran I.A.S – Director of Agriculture, Govt. of Tamil Nadu at the Southern Regional Agricultural fair and Farmers day 2015 programme on 9th January 2015 (Friday).Thousands of Farmers from different states and districts of Tamilnadu participated in the Farmers day programme organized at Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
'Velanmai Chemmal' Awards recognizes the contributions of Farmers and the 5 best farmers are selected on the below mentioned criteria
1. The farmer who made significant achievement in the production, value addition and marketing of agricultural commodity utilizing the TNAU technologies and services of KVK
2. The achiever farmers who has influenced other farmers/ farmers groups to achieve in the same way as he or she has achieved and
3. The farmer who serves as “ Spokes person’ for TNAU technologies and practices
5 Winners of 'Velanmai Chemmal' Award:
1. Mr.G.Ajeethan, of Namakkal district for cultivating paddy and plantain by adopting latest technologies and getting highest yield.
2. Mr.I.Bakiyaraj, of Virudhunagar District for using integrated farming system in producing 10,000 Kilo yield per Hectare and green gram production of 1100 kilo yield per hectare and is the district level achiever.
3. Mr.Cauvery V Dhanabalan ,Nagapattinam District for cultivating paddy and Ulundhu in a large scale and getting quality certification for seed varieties developed by him . He has established KAVERI ULAVAR URPATHIYALAR COMPANY LIMITED and through this institution he has integrated more than 1000 farmers and instituted a Seed refinery factory. He also played a major role in marketing quality paddy seeds and cereals in the market across Tamilnadu)
4. Mr.M.C.Sathakumar of Krishnagiri District for creating a Mango growers Association among farmers and giving technical a guidance to farmers in exporting Mango’s to European countries)
5. Ms.N.Sumathi, Nilgiris District for initiating a self help group in the name of Eswara and establishing a world class Tea manufacturing company in the name of Silver tips. Apart from this she has encourages 47 self help groups in Nilgiris district to produce quality tea and also channelized their marketing.
'Velan Chemmal' Award Selection Process:
The applications for the award are distributed by the 24 Krishi Vighyan Kendra (KVK) in Tamilnadu Initial Shortlisting is done by KVKs and later shortlisted applications are sent by KVKs to TNAU.TNAU had received 24 applications from all KVKs and later the selection committee comprising of Directors from TNAU scrutinized the applications and selected 5 Best Farmers.. Velanmai Chemmal awards are presented to selected farmers belonging to different districts of the State based on their innovative agricultural experiences.